Please take a few minutes to OPPOSE this bill ASAP!
SB 5537: Changing Compulsory School Attendance Requirements for Children 5, 6 and 7 years of age.
1. Click HERE to enter your OPPOSITION. This link will take you to a Committee Sign-In page. It will only record your position; it will not sign you up to testify.
2. On the pull down menu, enter your position as CON.
3. Put in your first name, last name and email address.
4. You are not required to write in anything under “Organization,” unless you are testifying on behalf of a group.
5. Click the box to prove you’re not a robot, then “Submit Registration.” And you’re done.
*If you would like to sign up to testify, you will want to continue from this point and select “Senate Committee on Early Learning & K-12 Education at 8:00 AM” and follow the instructions. CSI (wa.gov)
GET YOUR FRIENDS’ AND RELATIVES’ PERMISSION AND RECORD THEIR POSITION AS WELL. YOU ARE NOT LIMITED TO ONE COMMENT PER EMAIL ADDRESS! WE NEED TO LET OUR VOICES BE HEARD!
AND PLEASE PASS THIS LINK ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW, FRIENDS, FAMILY, NEIGHBORS, WHO ARE LIKE MINDED !
NOTE: You may also sign up to testify, either via zoom or in written form, by 7 am, Friday January 14.
The Early Learning & K-12 Education committee hearing for this bill is scheduled for 8 am January 14.
Information about this bill: SB 5537
This bill will change the minimum age for mandatory school attendance from 8 years of age to 5 years of age. This will take more power from parents and put it in the hands of the public school system. Parents will no longer be able to decide whether they want their child to attend kindergarten, first or second grade, in a mask. If a parent chooses homeschooling, the new law will require, at age 5, parents to notify the school district of their intent to homeschool.
Bill Sponsors: Democratic Senators Claire Wilson, Federal Way and Lisa Wellman, Mercer Island